Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Geeky Review: Customwallscrolls.com

I don't like posters. After 4 years of living in a dorm, I had so many issues with sticking posters onto my walls. I went from sticky-tack which ruined the backs to plain old tape which tore into the print. I have partially ruined my limited edition Homestuck print (signed by Andrew Hussie) and tore through my poor Skyrim map.

Why not order a wall scroll instead?

I happened to come across this site: Customwallscrolls.com which offered to print any image of yours into a fabric scroll. I have two scrolls myself: a Revolutionary Girl Utena one and a xxxholic one, both I got from Megacon 2011. I have had no issues putting scrolls up on walls. Just get some of those command hooks and--BAM--the scroll is attached to the wall fairly well.

A week or so ago, I ordered a custom scroll of one of my favorite anime/game characters: Nepgear from the Hyperdimension Neptunia series. I found a large image of her online, about 2000x2000 pixels, and sent it to them.



The Review: 4/5 bats

The Good:

-The wall scroll was cheap. I ordered a small for 19.99 USD and it was shipped super quick. It took about 3-4 days to get to me all the way from California. We're talking a cross-country trip from California to Florida.

-It was packaged very nicely. I received the poster roll from the front office and was impressed how delicately it was packed. The fabric wasn't bunched at all nor did it have any creases.



-The print came out a lot better than I intended and looks great against my wall. The hooks were simple to put on the top. I took a bit of purple yarn and attached it to the hooks, letting it hang that way. I do say, it looks quite adorable:


-The fabric is very well-made. It is kind of a medium make. I'm not well-versed in fabrics yet, but it seems pretty acceptable for the price.

The Bad:

I wouldn't necessarily say it is bad. Just a few things that were a bit disappointing to me.

-The fabric is sheer. I can put my hand behind the scroll and still see this. However, it may be because of how light/pale the original image was. It does look very nice against the wall if there is nothing behind it.

-The image quality is not too great. Perhaps this was because of the dpi of the original image. I forgot to mess with it and just submitted it right away without thinking about the contrast. Luckily, it isn't too noticeable unless you really go up nose-to-nose with the scroll.

-Getting the scroll out of its plastic case was a pain in the neck. It was seriously sealed tight. This isn't that bad of a thing, but a small annoyance. At least I have a little storage container for the scroll, which really helps considering how beat-up my Utena one is from moving.

The Verdict:

In all, I highly recommend this store for custom scrolls and things to stick up on your walls. Just remember to edit your photos to have enough contrast and mess with the dpi before submitting. It's a good price for a custom print.



No comments:

Post a Comment